February 26

Blogging With Students

Next year, I’m planning on having my students blog more. In the past, we’ve used Edmodo with limited results in this area because it is more closed than a traditional blog, so I would like to give them more ability to share their writing. I’ve thought about doing this for the past few years – last post? three years ago – but for curricular reasons, I’ve just never been able to do it. I think that I have a good grasp of what I would like the students to accomplish, but I’m concerned about the following:

• motivation: how to keep the students motivated
  • commenting: I need to figure out a way to get beyond the “I like it!” comments
  • authentic writing: how to focus on the writing being authentic and not formulaic
  • images: inclusion of images or not
  • the unknown: it frightens me terribly.

January9-3

If anyone has any suggestions or has had any success with blogging, please leave me a comment and let me know. I think that I’ll have about 125 students next year, so it is a large group of kids.

Posted February 26, 2014 by mrsgreenwood in category Development

About the Author

The path to teaching is not always a straight one. Prior to finally admitting I wanted to be an English teacher, I worked as a technical writer, graphic designer, pharmacy technician, and instructional assistant. Being a teacher, however, is the most rewarding career yet, save for one . . . being a mother to 26-year-old twin daughters. When I'm not teaching, I'm either reading, knitting, taking photographs, running, or writing, but teaching is never far from my mind. I truly love my job and am privileged to work with many talented colleagues and students alike.